Friday, August 27, 2010

The DUFF

Okay, you're probably wondering what in the world DUFF stands for.  Well let me tell you: Designated Ugly Fat Friend.  Author Kody Keplinger, who was 18 when she wrote the book, really lays it all out there.  I'm guessing that Kody wasn't very far out of high school when she wrote this, and I don't say that because the writing is immature or bad.  It's very raw and very real, which for a lot of teenagers that's exactly what high school is.  Because this is a professional blog I am writing and because of who I work for, this will be a slightly unconventional book review.  First, I will try not to skimp on details but also be mindful of my readership.  Second, I will not commit to recommending this book on this blog.  If you want more details and information about the book, you can talk to me in person the next time you see me.

The story is told through the eyes of high school senior, Bianca Piper, who feels like the least attractive one of her circle of friends, especially her best friends Jessica and Casey.  Her rampant cynicism and low self-worth are not helped any when Wesley Rush, the hottest, richest, and most-womanizing guy at school chats her up one night at a teen club.  His motivation: her hot friends.  His method: be nice to the DUFF - designated ugly fat friend.  The immediate result: Bianca's Cherry Coke in his face.  Wesley is not dissuaded by this and tries again the next weekend.  Bianca loathes Wesley for who he is and how he treats women, but her life is a bit messy and the only thing she can think to do to blow off steam without actually punching Wesley is to kiss him.  The worst part: she really, really likes it.  And so begins 6 weeks of trying to drown out the stress in her life by secretly hooking up with Wesley several times a week.  Funny thing is that when we open ourselves up to people, either physically or emotionally, we can't go unchanged.

Disclaimer: If this book were to be made into a movie and not edited, it would be rated R for language alone.  However, be ye also warned that there is promiscuity by the boatloads.

P.S. I do have to say that I did read it cover to cover in half a day.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting review, Jasmine. I wonder if, in the end, promiscuity and other risky behaviors "worked" for Bianca. Could she have matured emotionally without all that? I appreciate your sensitivity to the book, its potential readers, your readers, and your employer. :)

    ReplyDelete