Thursday, July 19, 2012

Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances

Ya'll I was so excited to find this title because I was seriously jonesing for some more really good steampunk after The Girl in the Steel Corset!  Unfortunately, this did not satisfy my craving.  Despite the word "steampunk" being in the title, that element seemed very optional in most of the stories - some were almost pure fantasy, historical, or supernatural with a robot or two thrown in.  Don't get me wrong - I liked most of the stories but they weren't really steampunk.  One was about a set of conjoined twins, one of which was in love with a guy who turns out to be a vampire; one set in the 1960s and was about aliens and racism; and one was set during WW2.  However, one of the more steampunk-esque ones is set in Deadwood, South Dakota, so holla!

Plus I think they used the same model from the original cover art for Specials by Scott Westerfeld, gave her a tan, turned her face sideways, and superimposed some gears over it all.  This type of not being original with cover art always bugs me. 

All ranting aside, the stories are interesting but if you're looking for steampunk here, keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment