Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Remembering and Forgetting - a ramblesome musing about favorites

Just to shake things up a bit, I thought I would post something reading-related but not a book review.  I hope the thoughts in my head make sense once typed out.

There are a few books, in the scope of the many I have read over the years, that I love to read again and again.  You would think that because I have read them so many times I would remember some of the details that are my favorites.  Yet I find myself re-reading a book because I am excited to get to a part that I'm remembering and then all of a sudden I come across a part that I had forgotten about but love just as much.  I also find myself tensing up in the scary parts or thinking "Oh my gosh - I hope everything turns out okay" even though I know good and well how the story turns out.  Does this happen to anyone else? 

And in case anyone was wondering what books I tend to re-read the list includes the following (mostly series books): the Harry Potter series - usually the 3rd through 7th, the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix, the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer - but mostly just the first two, Airman also by Eoin Colfer, and Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen.  I have some new favorites that I think I will be re-reading in the near future: the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (but maybe not Mockingjay) and the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld.

3 comments:

  1. I go back to the Montmorency series by Eleanor Updale again and again. Like my Eragon series the covers are all falling off! I like to start reading the first book of a series but then I get side-tracked and start the first book of another series. Then when I think about continuing with the original series I don't remember what was happening! It's a vicious cycle and I'm not going to do anthing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I guess me giving you all those books to read doesn't help any, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm re-reading SABRIEL right now and was blown away by how much of the story was hidden in the dark corners of my memory. All those things came rushing back the moment I opened the book again and I felt like I first read it a month ago not five years ago.

    ReplyDelete