Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Vordak the Incomprehensible: How to Grow Up and Rule the World

I don't know why I've been putting off writing this review other than maybe I still feel drained from Mockingjay.  Maybe it's because Katie from the publishing company knows I am going to be writing this and I don't want to disappoint her!  This is actually a hilarious book so I don't know if I will do it justice, but I don't think I can put this off any longer.

Vordak, who was raised as a proper super villain, will give you all the tips you need to make a name for yourself (he even has a handy guide for that), how to build your army of minions and underlings, how to verbally out-wit superheros, and how to look good doing it.  Junior high boys are going to love this book.  Adults will also love it and probably get more of the jokes.  It's silly, full of diabolical laughter, and though sinister, absolutely delightful.

When my preview copy arrived, the first person to read it was not me, it was my non-biological-but-practically-adopted teenage daughter, Elisha.  She read parts out loud to me or would pass me the book so I could read something because she was laughing so hard.  Ironically, while she was reading page 65, which covers reasons to keep spare costumes handy in case of dangerous activities, including eating (accompanied by an illustration), the sushi she was eating dripped soy sauce on the book.  We won't tell Vordak because I'm sure he would immediately put her into one of his diabolically clever yet extremely slow-acting death traps, and I would miss her dearly.

P.S. The author is really Scott Seegert and the illustrations were done by John Martin, who is still awaiting rescue from Vordak's dungeon.  Someone go get the poor guy out of there!

No comments:

Post a Comment